Thanks to advancements in the healthcare field, achieving fuller hair growth using permanent hair loss solutions has gotten easier. In addition, the world is starting to recognize the benefits of using hair transplant technology to promote hair growth in a painless manner. The most recent technological advancements enable hair loss to be addressed in accordance with clients' wishes for hairline restoration. The hair transplant procedure is ideal if hair loss is causing you problems with your self-confidence. In recent years, advances in hair transplant operations have been made with consideration for risk concerns, precision, and little discomfort during the process. More specifically, hair transplant clinics customize common hair transplant procedures like DHI, FUE, and FUT based on the hair restoration goals that are established during the hair loss consultation with the client.
Common Hair Transplant Techniques
Selecting the optimal course of action becomes crucial, regardless of the cause that the hair transplant specialist has precisely recognized. The most important thing to consider should be selecting the best hair transplant clinic, taking into account the cutting-edge technology and the hassle-free mechanism. By creating the ideal hairline, a hair transplant can help someone regain their confidence. A person's personality is enhanced by their longer hairstyle, therefore selecting the finest hair restoration technique is essential. It should be mentioned at this point that surgery is the most effective treatment for hair loss out of all the supplements or cures.
To be more specific, understanding the various hair transplant procedures is crucial to achieving the greatest outcomes following hair restoration surgery. Hair follicles are transferred from one area of the body to the recipient location, which is the scalp, as a significant step in the hair transplant procedure. In the contemporary realm of hair restoration, surgical techniques provide certain benefits and considerations. The clinics utilize a variety of conventional procedures, including DHI, FUE, and FUT, to provide exceptional hair restoration services. To find out, let's try to understand these methods.
DHI, FUE, And FUT – Which Hair Transplant Technique Is Best?
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT):
FUT, often known as the strip harvesting procedure, is the most widely utilized hair transplant technique. A strip of skin containing hair follicles from the donor area—the back of the scalp—is taken as part of this procedure. Next, under a microscope, the removed strip is precisely divided into individual hair follicular units. In order to implant the follicular units without any mismatch, the incisions in the recipient region are also marked with a sharp knife. It should be mentioned, nevertheless, that severe scarring on the donor side may persist following FUT hair transplant surgery. However, with time, when hair grows out, these scars could disappear.
Steps involved in FUT hair transplant technique
- Consultation with the greatest hair transplant surgeon: It is advised that you obtain advice from a skilled hair transplant surgeon before concluding the FUT hair transplant operation. The doctor will assess your hair loss pattern throughout the appointment. Along with determining your eligibility for the FUT hair transplant procedure, he will also talk with you about your goals for hair restoration.
- The rear sides of the scalp, which contain hair follicles that are genetically resistant to balding, are chosen as the donor location for hair transplant surgery. The surgeon chooses this location for FUT hair restoration since the transplanted hair still has its natural characteristics.
- Local Anesthesia: Before beginning the hair transplant procedure, surgeons make sure the patient receives local anesthesia. The goal of this stage is to achieve numbness in both the recipient and donor regions. Local anesthesia is used to guarantee the patient's comfort throughout the treatment. Nonetheless, throughout the hair transplant procedure, people experience discomfort.
- Donor Strip Harvesting: The hair transplant surgeon uses a blade to cut a strip of skin from the donor region. In addition, each person's demands define the necessary size and length of the strip to be collected. Following the surgery, the incision is surgically covered or stitched to promote healing. It's possible to see the immediate scarring following the FUT operation.
The follicular units are removed during the first FUT hair restoration treatment preparation. Under a microscope, hair follicular units are to be separated as part of the FUT hair transplant procedure. Additionally, the development of the recipient site, the insertion of the graft, and the post-operative care are some of the phases that support this hair restoration process precisely and customized.
Disadvantages Of The FUT Method:
- Slightly longer recovery: There is some postoperative pain associated with the FUT technique. In the neck region, numbness, slight discomfort, and a sensation of stretching are common but transient. It's also advised to avoid exercising for two to three weeks following the treatment.
- Minor Scar: The largest drawback of the FUT technique is a linear scar that develops from the donor strip harvesting site. But the scar is hardly evident because of our doctor's skill, the cleaning process, and trichophytic-based wound closure techniques. The scar only becomes apparent when hair is trimmed very short.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE):
Hair follicles are extracted from the donor region using a punch in this minimally invasive hair transplant procedure. Occasionally, this method may also be utilized by the robotic system to achieve hair restoration objectives. The first step of a FUE hair transplant involves making small circular incisions around each follicular unit. This incision-making process leaves noticeable linear scarring. These scars, meanwhile, are not as severe as those seen following the FUT hair transplant procedure. In addition to the aforementioned procedures, the surgeon plans the implantation of the removed hair in the recipient region while making very small incisions with a sharp knife. It is important to note that, in comparison to FUT, there may be less discomfort and a speedier recovery.
The genetic hair loss-resistant region is selected in order to prepare the donor area for the FUE hair transplant surgery. The hair in the donor location is cut to the length necessary to finish the FUE hair restoration process. Using medical punch equipment, hair follicles are extracted from the donor location in the next phase. Each follicular unit typically comprises one to four hair strands that are employed correctly for the location of the transplant. The hair transplant surgeon makes incisions prior to placing grafts for hair growth. In terms of development and healing, hair growth may be felt in 12 to 15 months, and surgical healing will be seen in a month.
Disadvantages Of The FUE Method:
- A lower number of grafts per session: Because of limitations in donor area and time, the FUE procedure can harvest fewer grafts than the FUT method. When there is a larger donor area and a higher graft density, the FUE procedure can achieve better results.
- Higher transaction rates: Individual grafts must be harvested in order to use the FUE procedure. This raises the transaction risk and, consequently, the rate of it. The number of follicles that have a lower transaction rate due to the FUE procedure is significantly higher than that of the FUT method. In the most dire circumstances, the transaction rate may reach up to 10%–15%. Fortunately, the transaction rate may be reduced and brought down with the right equipment, a skilled surgeon, and a competent team.
- Requirements for higher qualification: FUE grafts are subjected to more stress because of the nature of the technique. There is no protecting tissue around them like they would be with a FUT operation. Therefore, assistants must handle them delicately. If not, there might be a decreased chance of survival for the surgery. Fortunately, a surgeon with the right experience and his highly skilled staff may reduce this.
Direct Hair Implantation (DHI)
During the DHI hair transplant, the follicles are immediately implanted in the recipient region. Though pre-made incisions are not necessary for the DHI hair transplant operation, it is a more sophisticated approach than the FUE technique. This hair transplant treatment procedure achieves maximal density and lifelong natural results using a specific implanter instrument. The popular hair transplant patented technique known as "Direct Hair Implantation" (DHI) is used in 75 clinics across 45 countries to restore hair using the following procedures:
- Hair Follicle Extraction: Using a micro punch instrument, hair follicles are removed from the patient's scalp as part of this stage of the DHI hair transplant procedure. Since these regions are genetically resistant to hair loss, they are referred to as donor areas, and they are often found on the rear side of the head.
- Segregation of Hair Follicles: The retrieved grafts or follicles are then divided into groups of one, two, three, four, and so forth and stored in a tray. Therefore, surgeons will design the hair implantation procedure to provide the patient with the highest density and outcomes that seem real. Furthermore, patients are transparent about the number of grafts or hairs that have been placed on their scalp.
- Implantation of Hair Follicles: The procedure of extracting and implantation of hair follicles is one of the distinctive features of the DHI technology. The clinics that provide the DHI procedure follow distinct protocols, are transparent, and have a unique process from beginning to end. Before the follicles are implanted, the recipient region is not cut during this DHI hair transplant surgery. The implantation procedure is carried out by a DHI-trained implanter, who uses a hollow needle that ranges in size from 0.8 to 0.9 millimeters. The needle is made to help the implanter maintain balance during the procedure, and the DHI surgeon has incredible control over the direction and hairline, consistently producing results that look natural. This tool helps ensure that the DHI hair transplant is carried out as effectively as possible, whether it is connected to regulating the follicle's implantation depth, direction, or angle.
Advantages Of The DHI Method
- Minimally Invasive: The DHI hair transplant process is a minimally invasive treatment that doesn't require any sutures in the donor or recipient areas. Because of this, there is no chance of scarring following this surgical hair transplant operation, and recovery time and healing are reduced.
- Customized & Natural Hairline Pattern: DHI is a reliable alternative if you've been seeking a hair transplant method that works well and provides a hairline that looks natural. The customized hairline design may be produced following the DHI hair transplant process since the surgeon can manage the density and angle of each hair follicle's implantation thanks to the implant of the DHI. The surgeon's ability to achieve the natural hairline design is greatly aided by the tool's precision throughout the hair transplant surgery.
- One-session hair transplant procedure: For hair restoration treatments with customized hairline outcomes, the DHI hair transplant method often only requires one session to complete. It just relies on the patient's specific demands and the quantity of hair follicles or grafts needed.
It should be noted that local anesthetic is applied to the patient's scalp in order to ensure their comfort and safety throughout the DHI hair transplant surgery. Because of the anesthesia, the patient remains comfortable and the surgeon may work quickly to remove and implant the patient's hair. With the amazingly natural results of the DHI hair transplant operation, the patient may watch TV in the OT room or play games on their mobile device. Additionally, 8 to 12 months following the DHI hair transplant treatment, fuller hair growth might be observed.
Which Method Should I Choose?
There is no hard and fast rule saying that one hair transplantation technique is superior to another. When selecting the type of surgery, several parameters are considered, chief among them the extent of hair loss, the kind and density of hair in the donor area, and the anticipated outcome. Expert plastic surgeons can only suggest a specific procedure following a one-on-one consultation and assessment. When requesting an online consultation, our patients email us pictures of their heads taken from various perspectives, which allows the doctor to provide more detailed advice.
The plastic surgeon's experience and skill will have the most impact on the outcome, aside from the kind of surgery used for hair transplantation. The density and naturalness of the hairline, the grafts' survival rate, and the visibility of the scars are all determined by his or her level of skill. While some surgeons are equally skilled in FUT, FUE, and DHI transplants, some are specialists in just one area of surgery. During the consultation, it is worthwhile to inquire about this with the doctor, and you should also carefully review their portfolio. Coordinators of Advanced Hair Clinic in Albania can assist you with this. We have partnered with top plastic surgery facilities and assisted hundreds of our patients in receiving successful transplants.