An FUE procedure employs the utilization of the most advanced hair restoration technology to reach an enduring, aesthetically-pleasing solution to hair loss. Throughout this easy, single-day, outpatient procedure, Advanced Hair Clinic’s specialized surgeons use follicular unit grafts to rebuild your growth pattern and hairline. Hair follicles are extracted from a donor site of the scalp and harvested to a thinning area, individually. And most importantly, the donor site will recover in a couple of days, and there will be no linear scars or stitches left behind.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is the kind of hair transplant method that involves taking individual hair follicles from the skin and transferring them to another part of the body where the hair is thinner or completely absent.
- FUE has turned into more of a prevailing technique than the Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) procedure, which results in the hair plugs' appearance.
- For the extraction of single follicles and their movement, surgeons use micro punches, leaving behind almost no indications of extraction.
- Follicular Unit Extraction is believed to be amongst the safest hair transplant techniques with some minor probable side effects, including some tiny white scars in the site where follicles were extracted. There exist, however, some atypical instances when the surgery can result in infection or tissue death.
- Temporary side effects are also common, particularly the very first days after the treatment, such as swelling, bruising, and sensitivity.
- The whole procedure of a FUE hair transplant is done in multiple sessions lasting from 2 to 4 hours, over the course of several days. Yet, in some very rare instances, a mega session may last up to 10 to 12 hours.
- Since FUE is an outpatient procedure, it means that you can return home right after the procedure.
- There is no need for an interruption of the daily routine too much after undergoing FUE. Having said that, please be mindful not to immerse the site in water or do any strenuous activity for at least one week.
- Nearly every kind of surgeon is qualified enough to perform a hair transplant surgery. You may, however, desire to schedule a consultation with a dermatologist who earns a living in hair loss or is certified in hair transplant surgery.
- It takes from 3 to 4 months for the hair transplanted into a new area of the body to start growing back.
- The result of the transplanted hair is from 10 to 80 percent- that is the percentage awaited to grow back.
What is an FUE hair transplant?
FUE, or Follicular Unit Extraction hair transplants are performed by extracting hair follicles out of your skin and harvesting them somewhere else in the body. The hair in the new region will look, this way, much thicker.
FUE was first introduced as a replacement for the classic Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) method, a procedure that involves the taking of an entire piece of skin or scalp alongside the follicles and transplanting the skin on the focus site.
Differently from FUT, FUE has a lower chance of leading to a hair plug look, where sections of skin or hair do not correspond to the neighboring areas. Additionally, it does not leave a large scar. These are the two main reasons why FUT has become immensely popular among those people who are seeking hair transplant surgery.
The best eligible candidate for an FUE hair transplant is a person whose hair is thinning or balding but still has enough hair close by to use for a transplant.
On the other hand, if you do not have enough healthy or thick hair to transplant to the thinning or balding site, you might not be a suitable candidate for an FUE hair transplant.
How does an FUE hair transplant work?
As the years pass, and people age, the three-stage cycle of hair growth and regrowth curtails until it is impossible for the follicles to regrow hair.
The process varies from one individual to another. Some people might be bald by their 20s, others much later in life.
This is when an FUE hair transplant comes in handy- it replaces the old follicles with new follicles that are still capable of growing hair.
Following the transplant, the follicles will be nurtured by the help of blood vessels and they will commence growing hair in the region that formerly had thin hair or balding.
Procedure for FUE hair transplant
Here is how the FUE procedure goes:
- The shaving down of the hair in the region where follicles will be extracted as well as around the region where harvesting will occur.
- The removal of follicles from the skin with the employment of a micro punch tool.
- The creation of a series of small cuts with a needle, or some other sharp tool, in the area where the extracted follicles will be inserted.
- The follicles will be inserted into the incisions.
- The cleansing and bandaging of the area for recovery is done by the surgeon.
What to expect after an FUE hair transplant
The rehabilitation after an FUE hair transplant surgery is quite simple and quick. There might be some swelling or pain for about 3 days.
Here are some aftercare guidelines your surgeon might give you:
- Abstain from washing your hair or showering for at least 3 days.
- Make use of gentle, unscented shampoos for a couple of weeks after you have gone back to washing your hair.
- Take a few days off work to aid in speeding up healing.
- Abstain from combing or brushing your new hair for a minimum of 3 weeks.
- Abstain from wearing hats, beanies, or other types of clothing that goes over your head, at least until your doctor says it is allowed.
- Abstain from doing any vigorous physical exercise for at least 7 days.
There might be some hair falling out throughout the healing process. This is part of normality.
There will be a noticeable difference after 3 to 4 months.
It is possible for the hair not to grow back as thick as expected, all dependent on the health of the transplanted hair.
Is it permanent?
- Following the grafting of your hair follicles into regions where the hair is thinning, it takes a while for the skin to recover. As a matter of fact, it is common for some of the hair to fall out for the very first three months after the procedure. The rehabilitation can last from 6 to 12 months, namely the healing process. But once it is fully done, the transplanted follicles start to grow hair that fills out the bald patches on the scalp. This is hair that will continuously grow in a natural way with age.
- The rehabilitation can last from 6 to 12 months, namely the healing process. But once it is fully done, the transplanted follicles start to grow hair that fills out the bald patches on the scalp. This is hair that will continuously grow in a natural way with age.
- The motion of the hair follicles is eternal; by no means can they return to their previous placement. The transplanted hair follicles, similar to the rest of your hair follicles, have a lifespan. Sooner or later, they might progressively stop generating as much hair as they used to.
Is it possible that you could need another?
There is a possibility that your first hair transplantation procedure won’t be very durable.
There are even instances when certain patients might be instructed by their doctor about the necessity of multiple sessions of transplant surgery to obtain the wanted results.
Some candidates are fully satisfied with the outcomes of the first hair transplant, after it has healed, and later on they only try to fill out extra thinning patches on their heads.
What to expect long-term
Your hair transplant should hang in there long-term. While it is probable that with age, the hair follicles will thin, they will still be capable of producing at least some hair for the remainder of your life. If your hair thinning persists, your hair won’t fall back per your former pattern of natural hair loss. Your provider should conduct a discussion with you, in detail, about the plan of making sure that your hair does not have a patchy or unnatural look to it in the upcoming year following your hair transplant.
The bottom line
Hair transplants are the ultimate solution to hair that is thinning, visibly. The outcomes of a hair transplant are deemed irreversible as they cannot be undone.
Yet, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the appearance of your hair transplant after the recovery is the appearance it will have for the rest of your life.
Seeking and finding a knowledgeable supplier who recognizes the importance of a natural-looking, tenable hair transplant design is vital to being satisfied with your outcomes, and we at Advanced Hair Clinic offer just that- the chance to get your hair back, permanently.