The days after the hair transplant procedure are essential. Appropriate aftercare will aid in the healing and hair growth. It doesn’t matter if you pick an FUT or FUE, comprehending when and how to wash your hair are very crucial aspects of the aftercare process.
You might be thinking about how soon after a hair transplant can you go back to the normal routine of washing and caring for your hair.
To help you answer such questions we have created a list of instructions for the vital two weeks after the hair transplant operation. Whilst they are quite easy and simple to follow through, adhering to these guidelines will help in achieving the best outcomes.
What Happens To The Scalp After Hair Transplantation?
Straight away after the intervention is fully done, commences the healing process. The transplanted hairs will take root. The suture channels are closed through the wound crusts and secretions. Because of the increased cell division and breakdown of the fluids in the swollen regions, the minimally intrusive traumas heal without any noticeable scar.
In the initial days following your hair transplantation, you might suffer from swelling, itchiness, tenderness, minor discomfort or pain, and numbness all over your scalp. Bear in mind that the majority of patients won’t suffer any big pain. Patients who suffer such milder symptoms generally report that they clear up within the initial two days following the procedure.
To attain the best outcomes and avoid any type of discomfort, it is of utmost importance to adhere to the post-intervention procedure guidelines provided.
Our recommendation would be to wait a minimum of a day (no longer than two days, however) if you are doing a hair wash at home. As a matter of fact, please cease touching your hair and scalp for the initial two days following the hair transplant. We advise waiting two days to wash your hair if you are doing it by yourself so that you do not bother the freshly transplanted grafts and enable the donor site or sites to commence the healing process. You are still welcome to come back the next day and we can do the first wash for you.
Please bear in mind that waiting for longer than two days can enable crust and blood buildup, which is additionally discouraged. For instance, if the procedure was fully done on a Monday morning, you can wash your hair at your own home on Wednesday.
As a patient at Advanced Hair Clinic, we advise you to come back into the surgical office the day following your procedure to benefit from a free hair wash by one of our technicians. Throughout the visit, a technician will also evaluate your grafts and apply a specific ointment, found in the Advanced Hair Clinic post-intervention healing kit to help further in the healing process.
Summary: If you decide to wash your hair for the first time by yourself, it is essential to be as kind as possible so that you do not dislodge any of the transplanted grafts. Have at it and shower the rest of your body, avoiding getting your hair and scalp wet for the initial two days.
Days 0 – 3
- Utilize the specific shampoo offered to you following your procedure. Make sure to apply it gently, not putting your nails to use, only your fingertips.
- Whenever rinsing, do not permit the water pressure to hit directly the recipient site. Our recommendation would be to use the pouring method. That means, gently pouring the water from the pitcher or cup onto your head, instead of allowing the shower stream to land directly on the scalp.
- The most essential site to clean up is the donor site. Put the palms of your hands to use carefully and in a circular motion. Do not massage the grafted area.
- Do not utilize a blow dryer, seeing as doing so can be both painful and lead to injury of the site. Rather, carefully towel-dry your hair. Pat the hair dry lightly instead of rubbing it.
- You can use a comb over the grafted region but do not touch the scalp with it.
- Stay away from sun exposure for the following few weeks. It could lead to burning and damaging the scalp and yielding unwanted outcomes.
Days 3 – 6
Following your initial shampoo, you can then go on to wash your hair daily, maintaining the site clean to diminish any scratching and boost the good healing.
- At this juncture you are allowed to use a blow dryer, keeping its heat setting on medium or low. This will help in avoiding pain and trauma to the transplanted region.
- Do not use hair gels, hair spray, or any other product that contains alcohol. The avoidance of such products will diminish the chances of agitating the scalp and causing itching, soreness, or flaking.
Seven days after the hair transplant procedure, you can proceed with the gentle washing of the hair, every day.
- At this point, you can either use the shampoo offered to you by the clinic, found in the healing kit, or you can go back to using your regular shampoo. Both will do.
- You can additionally start reusing hair products like hair gel or hair spray.
- Right away, you can use a blow dryer at a higher heat level setting, if you like so.
As you launch new factors, like hair products, a regular shampoo, or heat, keep note if any of those causes pain. If you begin experiencing irritation or agitation, have a talk with your doctor.
Days 7 – 14
If you have had stitches applied throughout your hair transplantation, you will typically come in to have your stitches removed about two weeks after the hair transplant.
During the second week, you are allowed to wash your hair and scalp using more force. At this moment, this is encouraged as a matter of fact. Doing such a thing will bring much more circulation to the region, aid in removing any remainder of crusts, and encourage proper healing.
Hair Care Products to Use
Your surgeon might provide you with some hair care products to aid in healing.
At Advanced Hair Clinic, we offer patients a post-operative healing kit to preserve their fresh grafts and boost proper wound healing.
The Advanced Hair Clinic post-intervention involves:
- Folican Graft Enhancement Night
- Folican Graft Enhancement Day
- Copper Peptide Cleanser/Shampoo
- Antibiotic Ointment
Have a discussion with an Advanced Hair Clinic experienced surgeon today and find out more about the specially formulated hair products to maintain the hair healthy for a lifetime.
How Often Should You Wash Your Hair After A Hair Transplant?
For the initial 10 to 14 days following the hair transplant procedure, you should have an objective to wash your hair daily, beginning with the first hair wash at the clinic. Daily washing helps remove any dried blood and leftover scabs from the transplanted region, keeping it healthy and clean and making the hair transplant less visible.
Washing the hair via a secure technique can also impede any complications like scarring (cicatrices). This is a condition (an inflammatory one) that harms the hair follicles and can result in permanent hair loss.
After two weeks, the scabs will have disappeared, and the transplanted hair roots must have settled in their new locations. From that point on, you can wash your hair as you normally do with the use of hair products, just like you did prior to the hair transplant.
Should You Use Caffeine Shampoo After A Hair Transplant?
Caffeine shampoos for hair loss have shown to be the most efficacious and effective approach as Minoxidil for hair growth boosting. Thus, it can be an amazing way to reduce continuous hair loss and boost hair growth in the transplanted hairs.
In spite of this, caffeine shampoo shouldn’t be utilized until at least two weeks following the hair restoration procedure. Until then, utilize the shampoo advised or offered by the surgeon.
How To Deal With Post-Transplant Itchiness?
An irritated scalp is a usual side effect of a hair transplant procedure. It can affect the donor site as well as the recipient site. Nevertheless, itching and scratching the scalp is a simple way to dislodge the hair grafts and bargain the success of the hair transplantation.
A hair wash can diminish scalp irritation, do not be tempted however to scratch your head whilst washing it. Reduce this risk by keeping your nails short, taking antihistamines, and spraying the head with a saline solution.
Other Hair Transplant Aftercare Tips
Mindful hair transplant recovery is of utmost importance for a successful hair transplant. If you, by accident, knock your grafts while showering or doing any other routine activity, you can swiftly lower the possibilities of hair transplant success.
To allow your hair transplant to have the best chance of growing, the following is what else you will need to adhere to in taking care of your grafts:
- Abide by your surgeon’s aftercare guidelines thoroughly.
- Follow your surgeon’s prescriptions regarding the medications.
- Cease from exercising following the hair transplant for a minimum of one month (after FUT or FUE).
- Stay at home for 1 to 2 weeks. Do not go to work. Our advice is to work from home during that time.
- Maintain your head protected from sun exposure.
What To Do If You See Hair Loss In The Shower?
The loss of huge clumps of hair during hair washes is typically among the first signs of pattern baldness. Hair loss during showering can be preoccupying, particularly if you are unsure what the reason behind it is.
If you notice hair loss in the shower following a hair transplant, this might be an anticipated side effect like post-operative shock hair loss. It additionally can be a temporary hair loss condition such as telogen effluvium, which can happen as a result of hair transplant intervention. Shock hair loss normally occurs one to two weeks following the surgery, whilst telogen effluvium generally happens 2 to 3 months later. Both conditions are quite temporary and should diminish on their own.
If you are anxious that you might be suffering any type of hair loss, such as female pattern baldness or male pattern hair loss, get in contact with the Advanced Hair Clinic team. We can tell you the reason behind your hair loss and help you in finding the appropriate treatment plant for hair restoration.
Adhering to the appropriate aftercare procedure is essential to make sure that your freshly transplanted hair will turn into well established and that will make you reach the maximum enduring advantages from the procedure.
If you have yet to undergo a hair transplantation procedure, but you are taking it into account, ensure to schedule a free consultation (be it virtually or face to face) with Advanced Hair Clinic, Albania’s #1 hair restoration expert.